Sunday, October 14, 2012

Chantilly Gray China Cabinet

Hello everyone! I hope life has been treating you well since I last posted. :-)

Today I'm sharing how I refurbished an antique, mahogany china cabinet.  As you know, if you follow me on FB, I am mixing my own colors of Annie Sloan Chalk Paint and I used two of those colors on this piece.  Chantilly Gray and Seaside Whispers, which is a soft aqua color.

Here is the finished piece.





As you can see from the first picture I'm still doing most of my work on my carport but I have good news! I'm getting my own shop! Yeah! I'm buying a portable building and finishing it out on the inside so I can have air and heat. Yippeee! LOL  I will be sharing the process of finishing the inside of the building with you as we go. I can't wait!

So, back to this cabinet.  First, I painted it with Annie Sloan's Coco. Coco is a brownish gray that is great for undercoats. Once that was dry I applied my new color Chantilly Gray to the outside.


I brought it inside to my kitchen and finished it because it was just too hot outside.  When applying the gray I more or less just dry brushed it on allowing the Coco to show through in places.  This aged the piece quit a bit and left the darker color in the crevises giving me the look I wanted with much less work. 

Next I painted the inside and the shelves with Seaside Whispers.  I love that soft, aqua green with the gray.


I know. It looks gray but I promise it is pale blue-green. I just could not get a good picture of the inside.

Once it was painted I just thought it was too plain.  It just needed something. So I added tissue paper, floral pictures to each of those side panels. 

The graphics came from...you guessed it "The Graphics Fairy."  I just used double sided tape and taped some tissue paper to a regular sheet of printer paper and ran it through my ink jet printer. Only tape the outside edges and gently pull it apart after printing.

I then applied two coats of a clear, soft wax and I was finished. 

See that wasn't hard. :-) I just love this piece and if I had somewhere to put it I'd keep it.  (I really need an old two story plantation house with a couple of extra wings to hold all the furniture I want.) ;-) But I'm stuck in this small house on the lake. Just kidding I've grown to love this place.

 I'll leave you with a couple of more pictures.





By the way, that is my best china I picked up about 20 years ago at a flea market. Love the pink roses.

The heart with paper roses and lace on top is a craft project from last summer.

Thanks for stopping by.  Until next time


I'm sharing with the following great parties:

Sunday
Nifty Thrifty Sunday

13 comments:

Mari said...

Oh wow Peggy, this turned out so beautiful....love the soft gray color you have used.....

Smiles~
Mari

PJH Designs said...

Thank you Mari. Its so good to hear from you. Have a great day.

Biljana said...

Absolutely beautiful:-)) Hugs, Biljana

Rosemary@villabarnes said...

Fantastic job, Peggy. Love the addition of the roses.

PJH Designs said...

Thanks Bijana! :-)

Terri said...

Love the Seaside Whispers! And the knob! Elegant! Congrats at 408! And congrats on your own place! WooHoo! An artists dream to have your own space to create, I'm so happy for you! Cool tip about the tissue roses too! Thanks!

PJH Designs said...

Thanks Rosemary. It just needed a little something more. :-)

PJH Designs said...

Thank you Terri. I'm so excited about the building. My husband is gone now to order it. :-o Have a great week. Peggy

Catherine @ Cat on a Limb said...

Beautiful. I love the colors. Well done!

PJH Designs said...

Thank you Catherine.

Sherry said...

Peggy you did an outstanding job on your china cabinet and your graphics turned out perfect! I never thought to use tissue paper, I definitely have to give it a try.

PJH Designs said...

Hi Sherry, thank you so much and if you try the tissue paper remember just a couple of strokes in each area to smooth it or DISASTER! lol

Have a Daily Cup of Mrs. Olson said...

Hi Peggy,
love this piece! The tissue paper roses are gorgeous with your china. Great makeover! thanks for sharing it with Share Your Cup.
hugs,
Jann

Total Pageviews

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...