Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Victrola Cabinet Redo

Hello blogger friends! I hope you are doing well.  I’ve been having trouble getting pictures off of my camera, but finally I found a solution and can start sharing the pieces I just finished last week and carried to the shop.

First, I like to share this Victrola cabinet redo. Here’s the after.

finishedshop

When I first saw this piece I knew I wanted to save the beautiful woodwork on the front.  The top and sides had some issues that would have required expensive veneer replacement.

Here is the before that I shared with you when I gave you a preview of my kitchen before renovation.



vintagepiecebefore


I totally stripped all the front panels on the Victrola.  Actually, I hand sanded them which took quite awhile. I then painted all the other areas in Annie Sloans “Old White” and the trim was painted with gold Rub & Buff.


inprocess


The top of the cabinet is where the actual Victrola was originally.  It had already been removed and a new bottom put in and then lined in felt.  I removed the old piece of felt and replaced it with new in a royal blue.

The inside top was sanded down and finished with a clear gloss polyurethane.


insidetop


I then painted the inside with a beautiful matching royal blue paint I already had  in stock.


insidebottom


The outside top was painted with “Old White” and I then applied a pretty stencil I special ordered to the top with the gold Rub & Buff.


top


After that I waxed and distressed everything painted “Old White” using a clear soft wax.  When that had dried I applied another coat of wax and buffed lightly.

For that gorgeous veneer on front I applied three coats of clear gloss polyurethane. 

I love the juxtaposition of the old chalk paint finish and the high gloss finish of the veneer.


close


This piece would be great as a storage cabinet for a dining room or any room. You could store silverware or jewelry in the top. 



finishedshop


I’m so glad someone decided to save this old cabinet it would have been a shame to just throw it out!

Thanks for stopping by and have a good week. Princess

8 comments:

Ruthie said...

Looks great! Way to go ; )

Anonymous said...

What a pretty piece! Love how you kept some of the wood stained on this piece!

Sharon @ Elizabeth & Co. said...

What a unique piece! Now the details really shine! Nicely done!

Liz @ Quirky Vistas said...

That's such a special piece. Love that you took so much time with it. You did a beautiful job. Found you through Too Much Time. Hope you'll stop over for a visit at Quirky Vistas.
Liz

Unknown said...

Gorgeous! The old white and the original wood are a match made in heaven :)

cathy@my1929charmer said...

Wow that is an gorgeous piece, and loving the two tones look. You did a beautiful job on it, I like dark and light contrasts. It really is a pretty piece! Thanks for sharing your creative inspiration with Sunday's Best!

Shabby Marilyn said...

Love the piece, great job! Newest Linky follower, will be back to see more of your blog! Hope to see you visit!

Kerryanne @ Shabby Art Boutique said...

She turned out beautiful Peggy. Thanks for linking up at Shabbilicious Friday.

Total Pageviews

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...