Wednesday, June 22, 2011

OMGosh I Can't Believe I Did That!!

Hello everyone. Since I am in the middle of several projects right now I thought I would share just one of my goofy mess ups that I had to fix.  You say, "What?! Not you Peggy surely you never mess anything up!" Yeah, right. LOL I'm just like everyone else I mess up & mess up often but the joy of re-doing a piece of furniture or home decor is that you can usually just re-paint it or start over.

The following piece I picked up at a flea market. It had soot all over it and underneath it was painted a really yucky purple, and it had a knob on it. I think it was a door to a wardrobe or some other piece of furniture, but best of all it had a mirror! You know how much those cost these days.  I could just see the possibilities!

I brought it home, cleaned it up, added a floral wood onlay to the top & bottom, painted it Country White, distressed, and stained it with a walnut oil stain. Wow! so Shabby Chic! It was faabuulous! I thought about keeping it but no greed won out. ;-) Then I started to clean the mirror up......

Now folks it had a perfect mirror until I got a hold of it! When I was distressing the wood I had grabbed my hand sander & I seem to remember trying to talk to someone and cook supper at the same time, you know, the usual multi-tasking that we women do, and to make a long story short I had scratched the heck out of that mirror! Boy was I mad at myself! Peggy you're such a dope!


Anyway, I ended up making a chalk board out of it so not all was lost. It's good to know when you're re-doing or re-purposing an item like I do that its okay to make mistakes they are usually easily fixed and hey Shabby Chic is not suppose to be perfect anyway right?  I have found pieces that were called Shabby Chic to be everything from solid white furniture to pieces so distressed there is hardly any paint left on it. 


By the way a tip about painting chalkboards when you finish take your chalk and rub the entire chalkboard. This sets it and keeps the first things you write on it from staying impressed on the board.  Here's the pics of the finished product.

No comments:

Total Pageviews

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...