Sunday, April 15, 2012

Kitchen Remodel: Tin Ceiling Tiles


I was thinking today that I had not shared much with you about my ceiling in my kitchen renovation. 
Yes, I did share how to remove a popcorn ceiling, and you may view that blog post here, but I did not share what we did afterward.

I removed the popcorn ceiling because at the time I had planned to put up the fake tin ceiling tiles and needed a smooth surface, but I found the money for my third splurge and bought the real metal ceiling tiles instead. If I’d had my way I would have used antique tiles but finding enough at a reasonable price is almost impossible in this day and age.



Here is the pattern I chose and the color is Satin White.  The paint is a powder coat and should last for many years. 

I chose the 24” x 24” tile as I felt with such a busy pattern the smaller 12” x 12” would be to just to much.  When they arrived I was so pleased and felt I had made the right decision. What do you think?


The tiles came from The American Tin Ceiling Company. I chose them as they are snap-lock and suppose to be easy to install.  Once you line up the first row making sure to measure and keep it straight then you are good to go for the rest of the ceiling.  You will need to measure at each side as you start a new row to make sure you keep everything square.


  You start by screwing them to the sheetrock on two sides and then the next tile slides into slots on the one you just screwed in on the opposite two sides locking them together.

The only problems we had was that the slots were not open all the way across the sides, and you had to work to open them wide enough to be able to slide the next one in. Also, the corners were never the same so each square did not always match up perfectly.



You will notice in the previous two pictures the small pieces cut to fit at the end of the row. By the way, you can cut the tiles with a pair of metal cutters. To hold this piece of tile out from the wall once it has been cut you can slip in one of those wood wedges and screw it and the tile to the ceiling.

I saved quite a bit of money by using this wood trim instead of ordering the metal trim the company offered.  Anyway, it would have been too wide for my kitchen as there is only a couple of inches from the top of my cabinets and the ceiling. You can see in the pictures how great the trim looks with the tiles.



One thing that has always upset me about our house are the low ceilings, but that is a totally different blog post that I will share with you later. Princess



Here is a quick look at the finished ceiling and just a tease of my new chandelier!

I couldn’t believe how much brighter my kitchen is now with the white metal tiles that are shiny in themselves plus they reflect so much light.  I think they are just gorgeous!

The American Tile Company offers a very detailed video on how to install the tiles if you choose this route for your ceilings. 

Thanks so much for stopping by and the kitchen reveal should be ready later this week.

15 comments:

The Kim Six Fix said...

Those are so pretty. I had no idea they were that easy to install! Thanks for sharing.

eleven-o-one said...

I've always loved tin ceilings. Can't wait to see the kitchen reveal.
Fran

Jen Lossing, Artistic Abode Designs said...

These are wonderful. They add such detail to the space! I am your newest follower. Great job!

Laura said...

These tiles are beautiful!! What a change they made!

Thanks for stopping by my blog and leaving the sweet comment. I do sometimes get excited about things and jump in with both feet before fully planning!

Your blog is so beautiful- love the background!
I'm following you now, too:)

Our Pinteresting Family said...

Can't wait to see the finished project. They look wonderful so far. Megan

Anonymous said...

Peggy this ceiling looks so great!! I used the wallpaper ceiling tile paper for my breakfast nook and one of the guest rooms but love the bigger squares. Saw another post today that did a lovely stencil on her ceiling and I am still trying to figure out what to do with my dining room ceiling- stencil or this- I really need to decide! It's been 2 years now!

Pam - @diy Design Fanatic said...

Your tiles are so beautiful! The 24" tiles were a good choice. Stopping by from Wow Us Wednesday.

Alaina said...

Thank you so much for sharing, I had never seen the tiles that fit into each other, only the ones you have to nail up. It looks wonderful.

Jana@Transformations From the Heart said...

Peggy,
Love your ceiling tile! Can't wait to see the completed kitchen remodel.

BTW-I wanted to stop by to let you know that I nominated you for The Versatile Blogger Award today. When you get a chance please drop by my blog to read all about it.

Thanks and looking forward to your next post. :0)

Revi said...

OOOOh! Lovely! I could be soooo jealous. :) But your elbow grease and tutorial just make me glad I stopped by!
-Revi

foreverdecorating said...

The ceiling is absolutely a dream of mine and yours is so beautiful.

TomKinley said...

Better info on your blog than what I have seen so far elsewhere. Thanks for sharing and... Keep up the good work. I know from experience it's not always easy! :-).

Joyful Blessings said...

Hi Peggy, love your blog, what were the fake tiles you were considering, where would you find them and what is the comparison cost to the real thing. Also is the powder coat paint the paint they use on cars? Thank you

PJH Designs said...

Yes it is a powder coat like they put on cars. There are several places on line to buy faux tin ceiling tiles and they run about 1/2 the cost of the real ones. Here is a link to one website http://www.talissadecor.com. Thanks for stopping by and hope this helps.

Unknown said...

Great Post !!

Looking awesome :) . This is great combination of photo and information..


Thanks for sharing

Ceiling Tile

Total Pageviews

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...