Friday, October 21, 2011

Faux Grain Sack Tutorial & Hobby Lobby Gift Card Winner



Today I’m posting the tutorial on how to do my faux grain sack chair as promised.

I used osnaburg fabric as I thought it looked the most like a grain sack’s material.


Supplies
Osnaburg fabric (1yard for 1 chair)
Ruler
Pencil
Acrylic Paint in color of choice for stripes
Fabric Medium
Small & medium brushes
Citrasolv
Carbon copy of image of your choice reversed
Spoon
Iron
Staple gun
1/2" staples
Fabric of choice for back of seat



Remove old fabric from chair seat then lay material over seat and cut being sure to cut 2 to 3 inches more all the way around cushion or if you were able to remove old fabric in one piece use it as template to cut new cover.

Now take your ruler and pencil and find the center of your fabric.  Measure and mark the center vertically the total length of your fabric. I made my center stripe 1/2” and my  two side stripes 1/4” you may have your stripes any size you want and as many as you want.


grainsack1

Next you need to mix your paint colors to achieve the hue you would like or if you have the correct color just proceed to paint your stripes being sure to mix in your fabric medium according to directions on the bottle. I didn’t have the color I wanted so I mixed a small amount of burnt umber, king’s gold, & buttercup to get a sort of caramel color. I used acrylic paints by FolkArt, Apple, & Duracraft.


grainsack2

I wanted my seat cover to look hand done so I wasn’t’ worried about getting the color exactly the same each time I had to mix more.  I also was not concerned with getting my stripes exactly straight as you can see here.


grainsack3

When the paint was dry I proceeded to the next step, applying the image. I got my image from The Graphics Fairy and after adjusting the size I printed it out on my ink jet printer.  If you are printing an image with words you will need to reverse the image.  I then took it to my local library and made several copies on their carbon ink copy machine. This only works if you have a carbon copy.  After cutting away the extra paper around edges I centered it on my stripes and taped the top down (you may want to tape top & bottom).You will now need your Citrasolv.  You can find this cleaner at most health food stores.


grainsack4

Citrasolv fumes are very strong so you want to work in a well ventilated area. Take a paint brush and apply the Citrasolv to the image. I just dipped the brush into the top of the bottle and it does not take much and you will see the image become transparent.


grainsack6

Once you have the image completely covered with the cleaner then take a spoon and burnish, burnish, burnish lifting the paper occasionally to see where you need to rub. Once you are sure everything is transferred completely remove the paper. Your fabric should look something like this:


diningchabee2_edited-2

Finally lay the fabric over a towel and iron until dry.  This releases the Citrasolv and sets the paint. Iron up and down the stripes thoroughly.


I’m sorry I didn’t think to take pictures of the next steps but you take your fabric and center it over the chair pad. Staple once in the center top and pulling taunt turn and staple once in the bottom center then the center of right and left sides. 
Once you have that done go back to top or bottom and starting at center staple start stapling up to corner on each side. Do this for all four sides. Then taking a corner cut away any excess fabric tuck up side edges making a pleat on the corner and staple down.  Do this for all four corners. Now cut a piece of lightweight fabric of your choice (I used tea dyed flour sack towels) to cover bottom of pad and folding fabric under staple down all the way around giving the seat a neat professional finish.




All you need to do to finish is screw the seat back onto the chair and voila!  [That's a French word you know :-) ]You have a gorgeous Frenchie chair (I know that’s not a word I made it up and use it quite often) :-)


Here is my finished product.


diningchabee1_edited-11




Look at those legs! Ohh, la, la! Did I tell you I had a leg fetish? Only on furniture of course. ;-)

Now for what many of you have been waiting for the winner of the $25 Hobby Lobby Gift Card is:



According to Random.org #30 comment
Congratulations Caron Oden please e-mail your address to pjhdesignsinfo@gmail.com

I'm linking up with the following parties.




Friday on Remodelaholic

DIY Club





FUN JUNK @ FUNKY JUNK INTERIORS

8 comments:

Grammy Goodwill said...

What an outstanding job you did on that seat and the tutorial. It looks great. Congrats to the winner also.

Rosemary@villabarnes said...

How cute is that?! Beautiful design, and tutorial.

Unknown said...

Great tutorial! Thanks so much for linking up! :)

Jane@Cottage at the Crossroads said...

Thanks for sharing how you did this. I am not familiar with the Citrasolv, but I will look for it. I was thinking that you could make some decorative kitchen towels in a similar way.

Roeshel said...

Beautiful job! great tutorial!

Its So Very Cheri said...

What a great tutorial. It turned out so pretty.

Cheri

Bonnie ~ a wee Meenit said...

did you use bleach or unbleached Osnaburg fabric? I LOVE the chairs!!

EL TALLER DE LO ANTIGUO said...

Me ha gustado mucho. Ha quedado preciosa. Gracias por compartir. Felicidades.

Total Pageviews

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...