Friday, August 19, 2011

From Brass to Class

I'm still working on a matching dresser and chester of drawers but I thought I'd share a small project I just finished.

I went to a local resale shop and found a couple of brass candle holders that had seen better days. Here's a picture of the before.




Definitely needed something didn't they? Well I got out the chalk paint (love that stuff) and gave them three coats of "Old White" and I could have left them at that but you know me that was just too easy.  So I got out "Henrietta", another color of chalk paint in a lavender pink, mixed it with lots of water about a 10 to 1 ratio then applied the wash to the candle holders and blotted it with a paper towel to give a mottled look. After that I decided they were a little too pink lol and gave them a wash of the "Old White" mixed with about the same ratio of water as the pink, and here's how they turned out:








They are a little pinker than my pictures show and yes I know I need to refinish my antique dining table lol.  I also just realized I was concentrating so hard at getting pics of the finish I did not get a whole picture of the candle holder. 
:-0 Anyway I think they would look great in any home but especially in one with "shabby chic" decor.


Hope this inspired you to get out that paint brush.  Thanks for stopping by.

No comments:

Total Pageviews

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...