Monday, December 5, 2011

Santa Christmas Card Hanger

Hello everyone hope your Christmas decorating and shopping are going well. Princess

I know that I shared my caddy I refurbished on a prior post saying I was going to use it to hold Christmas Cards, but…

caddieaft3

I changed my mind which is a woman’s prerogative, I believe, and decided to make a wall hanging to display my Christmas cards. Here’s a close up of the finished product.

santacard15

Here are the steps I took to achieve this lovely sign/wall hanging whatever!

First I went to my stash of boards I use for signs picked one out and gave it a good sanding.  Then I applied a coat of ASCP “Emperor’s Silk”.

santacard1

I then asked my husband to cut the board in half (after it dried of course) and attach the two pieces together.  I then applied a coat of left over green paint from a previous project to the boards and after that applied a coat of ASCP clear wax and one of dark wax to age it.

santacard4

Meanwhile…I picked out some chipboard letters to read “merry & bright” and painted them ASCP “old white.” I had found in a previous project that when applying glitter to shiny, patterned chip board letters just gluing the glitter on does not work to well.  After painting them I used Aleene’s clear tacky glue to attach the glitter. [Unfortunately they pay me nothing for recommending their product. Sad smile]
santacard6           santacard5

Next I stapled two long pieces of burlap that I had glued silver ribbon down each side of to the bottom of the sign, and I also stapled a strip of jute to the top as a hanger.
I then added glitter to a piece of an ornate frame I had in my stash and nailed it to the top of my sign/wall hanging thingy.

santacard7

Notice the miniature close pins in the top of the photo?  I will use these to attach the cards to the burlap ribbon.

After that was attached I applied some gorgeous red ribbon to a Santa image I found at The Graphic’s Fairy. The only change I made to the image was to add some red glass glitter.
santacard8

I pleated the ribbon as I glued it around the image. Its best to use the low heat doing this. Ouch!

santacard9

I attached the image using those round double sided glue dots I use in scrapbooking because I wanted more of a 3D effect.
After that was attached I glued on my chipboard letters. Then I took the same ribbon and pleated the first part gluing each pleat as I went leaving a tail and attaching one of these on each side.

santacard11

Here again is the finished product.

santacard14
santacard12

I really enjoyed making this sign/wall hanging thingy (except when I couldn’t find my staple gun and looked for 30 minutes!!! and finally found it right where it was suppose to be!) lol and I hope I have inspired you to get out your paint, glue gun, glitter…


UPDATE


I kept looking at my card holder wall hanging thingy and those red ribbons were just bugging me so I took them off.  I like it a lot better what do you think? :-)








I'm sharing with the following lovely lady's parties:




ThePinJunkie



HOG

Feathered Nest Friday

The Allred Abode













Funky Junk's Saturday Nite Special
























































The Shabby Nest

10 comments:

saltbox
treasures
said...

You've created a very nice card holder! Love the vintage Santa!
~ Julie

Kathleen said...

Peggy, You have a great eye for putting elements together to form beautiful, useful projects. I just love this! Thanks for sharing,
Kathleen

Ruffles and Relics said...

very cute project, love that Santa!!

Mari said...

Ohhh Peggy what a fabulous idea :)

xo~Mari

Rosemary@villabarnes said...

Love that architectural touch on top Peggy. Nice job.

Holly @ Bella Nest said...

This is adorable! I love that you used glitter on Santa! It's always good to meet fellow believers in Christ... I'm your newest follower. Please stop by bellanest.blogspot.com if you get the chance!

WhyCuzICan said...

Very sweet and I like when you didn't like something (side ribbons) and changed it to your liking (mine too, if you are taking opinions). Nice job and I hope you might have to make another one with all the greetings you'll get this Christmas season!


Visiting from BRAG MONDAY at Graphicsfairy :D

From Chilly NW Illinois,
Suzanne at WhyCuzICan

Okio B Designs said...

Your card holder is beautiful! Love the Santa image you chose! Coming over from Brag Monday and a new follower. =)

Jeanine

Curtains in My Tree said...

yes I think I like it better without the ribbons however it looks great both ways
very creative way to hang your Christmas cards up

Unknown said...

I LOVE this Christmas card hanger! I'll be investing in a staple gun so I can make this too. Thank you for the tutorial!

Total Pageviews

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...