Thursday, September 8, 2011

Bulky But Feminine

Remember this chest of drawers in my blog "Chest Trouble"?


Well after that post I still felt it just needed something I wanted it to be more feminine. Yes, that big bulky chest feminine.  So I got a great idea and after digging around in my craft room found a great paper doily with some lovely floral lace cutouts around the edges.  I took that and cut out a portion of it to make a stencil.  I then applied the stencil with "Old White" ASCP onto the outside edge of the drawers on each side and this was the result.


Waves of lace!  With the lace pattern and the "Old White" painted drawer pulls I think I achieved a more delicate look for this very large and bulky piece of furniture.  Let me show you how I achieved this look using pictures I took while painting the matching dresser. 
  •  First, I painted the piece with "Old White" chalk paint.  
  • I then applied a gray wash with "Paris Gray" using 1 part paint and 5 parts water.
  • After the paint had dried I applied my lace stencil taping it down to keep it from moving and using a medium stencil brush pounced the "Old White" paint into the lace pattern.
  • I started with the top of the mirror and applied the stencil under the curve across the top of the mirror and then on each outside edge of every drawer.
  • I painted all the drawer pulls and metal accents with "Old White" chalk paint, as they were not in great shape with some of the finish having worn off, applying two coats. I was surprised at how much I liked them painted white instead of black it softened the entire piece.


  • After all the paint was dry I applied two coats of ASCP clear soft wax
  • The top I stripped down to the wood and applied a Dark Walnut stain and two coats of a satin polyurethane.






Here are pictures of the finished dresser.


The dresser is so big I couldn't move it by myself and I had it in a smaller room when I took the pictures so I don't have a full picture of the dresser just parts of it, sorry. Also, my good camera is out of commission so please overlook the bad shots.


LOL yes those are my arms in the right corner.  We live in a 1950's home on a small lake. The home wasn't what I would have chosen but the location was excellent.  Notice the low acoustical ceilings.  Sigh, we work with what we are given.
 :-)   


I also dry brushed some Old White onto the decorative elements of the mirror to bring them out more.





I hope you like how these two pieces turned out.  They were quite a challenge in that they were such large pieces for the shabby chic look I wanted to achieve.  Next a dining room set and a piece that could serve as a dresser or sideboard.


I entered this blog in the following linky parties:






2 comments:

Rosemary@villabarnes said...

You did an awesome job on these pieces. Love the look.

Ethereal PLUS what I Love said...

The lace like accent is pretty and make the piece unique... nice job!

Total Pageviews

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...